Name: Elizabeth Ure
Age: 37 years old
Home: Warwick, Qld
What I Do: Business & Technology Consultant, Community Organiser, Mother
A long-time resident and passionate advocate for the people of the Southern Downs, Elizabeth has witnessed the resilience, strength and rising potential of local communities.
She believes that the people of this electorate have the skills and talent to work together to develop vibrant small businesses, reliable health care, affordable education and improved job opportunities. Elizabeth wants to help the region by winning vital government support for the people of the Southern Downs.
She is also dedicated to protecting our farmlands and communities from unwanted CSG drilling and mining.
Elizabeth is also a passionate advocate of political reform and against further asset privatisation in Queensland.
“I am proud to represent the Greens and the people of the Southern Downs with respect and democracy.”
I believe our political representatives need to
- adhere to a strict ethical code
- be connected and to create and support good communication
- show leadership and value community participation
- value their environment, the seasons, its produce, tourism and agriculture
- support each person’s mental and physical health
- provide long term planning and innovative solutions
- provide constituents regular reporting and updates
- fight in parliament for resources to support community initiatives and goals
My Work Experience
- Co-founded agricultural software company and developed software which won the Asia Pacific ICT Award for the technology most likely to benefit the Rural & Regional Community, beating UQ/Smithsonian Institute entry. The software allowed wheat farmers to get the best price for their wheat after industry deregulation.
- Developed crop spraying software in conjunction with DPI Victoria and UQ which reduced the amount of sprays required based on weather data collected daily and disease models.
- Developed comprehensive program to support women in large organisation which sold to IBM, Westpac and Kelloggs.
- Trained disadvantaged teens to help them develop skills for the workplace.
- University of Southern Qld psychology department.
- Currently freelance consultant assisting small businesses to increase sales through marketing and online strategies specialising in tourism.
My Community Involvement
- Freshfest community festivals in Warwick and Stanthorpe including live music, local handmade market stalls, multicultural food, kids activities, open air cinema, clothing swaps and educational talks.
- Put on Auslan course
- Organised Canberra-based speaker to deliver self-development workshops to disadvantaged youth and people with disabilities
- Founded Warwick Collective, including local artisan shop and local produce café and initiated local community garden
- Was a delegate at the Climate Reality Training with Al Gore
- Submitted application for Warwick to host for a year the Jamie Oliver’s Ministry of Food in Warwick.
- Volunteer teacher’s aide at Toowoomba Migrants & Refugee Services.
- Co-founded and ran What’s On Southern Downs website and Facebook providing 3000+ followers tourist and event information.
My Awards & Nominations
- International Health Idea Competition by Institute for the Future, Palo Alto – beating a Stanford University Entry.
- Asia Pacific ICT Award for Rural & Regional Communities
- Qld Women in IT Award
- Nominated Condamine Alliance Award
- Nominated Local Australia Day award
- Senior Certificate
- Diploma of Arts (Linguistics & Indonesian)
- Diploma of Business Technology (Award of Excellence)